Our licensed child care facility provides a positive, developmentally appropriate environment for infants to school-age children. Our mission is to provide early childhood care and education in a way that is developmentally appropriate and responsive to the needs of the community.
- Infant Care
- Toddler Care
- Preschool-Aged Care
- Before and After School Care
- Active Learning Preschool for 3 yr olds
- Wrap-Around Care
- Child Development Staff Training
- Early Childhood Agency Referrals
- Subsidized Care
- Protective Care
- Parent Education
- Home of Sioux Center Early Head Start
- Child care is available Monday through Friday from 6 AM to 6 PM all year long.
- Preschool classes meet for 3 hours two to five days a week during the school year.
- School-aged care is available before and after school and all day 6 AM to 6 PM on holiday vacation days and summers.
- The center is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, and Memorial Day.
Three early childhood programs exist in the facility—(1) The Early Childhood Center, which is licensed for 190 children, provides childcare for children ages 0-12. Of the 235 licensed children in the center, the Infant and Toddler rooms are licensed for 65 children and the Over 3’s rooms are licensed for 170 children. The ECC is owned and operated by Sioux Center Health, (2) Active Learning Preschool, also owned and operated by Sioux Center Health, provides preschool programming for 3 year old children. Classes available are M-W-F, T-TH, and M-F, (3)Early Head Start, under the governance of Mid-Sioux Opportunities Inc., who offers free early preschool for low to moderate income families,
It makes good sense for all 3 programs to be located in the same facility because they have similar needs. By sharing food service, playground, building space, office equipment, etc. all can offer more for less cost. In addition, there is great convenience for families who use more than one of the 3 programs.
- Two weeks to two years: One to every 4 children
- Two years: One to every 6 children
- Three years: One to every 8 children
- Four years: One to every 12 children
- Five years to ten years: One to every 15 children
- Ten years and over: One to every 20 children
It is the Early Childhood Center’s goal to ensure that all parents can access all information clearly and understand the content provided to them. We will do this by providing assistance as needed, as well as providing Spectracorp Language Services and the hospital translator when requested.
Program evaluations are conducted by means of both an infant/toddler and preschool PQA (Program Quality Assessment). This instrument is used on-going and measures areas of physical environment, schedules and daily routine, adult-child interactions, curriculum planning, family support, staff development, and program management.
Child evaluations are done for children who attend the Active Learning Preschool for 3 year old’s. Teachers use the Teaching Strategies GOLD Objectives for Development and Learning to observe children, write objective anecdotes, score child development based on those anecdotes, and then share that information with parents at conferences. Also, parents of Infants, Toddlers, Preschool-aged and School-aged children will be invited to sign-up for an annual conference. We communicate with parents daily but these conferences will assist staff in communicating with parents in a more formal way how their child is doing developmentally as well as how they are doing at our center.