Pediatric therapy is a form of treatment intended to treat or alleviate conditions in children from 1 to 18 years of age. It can help children improve or regain their physical and cognitive functions. It can also enhance their physical and social skills, which will enable them to participate in day-to-day activities.
Your family practice provider may recommend getting pediatric therapy services if your child is experiencing or has gone through any of the following issues:
- Congenital Disorders
- Chronic Illnesses
- Delays in development
- Severe injuries
- Post-operative conditions
Other indicators that your child may need pediatric therapy:
- Personality changes
- Increasing anxiety
- Tantrums that last longer than usual
- Destructive behavior
- Hitting other people when upset
- Difficulty to make friends
- Emotional problems, especially after a traumatic event
- Being in stressful situations (such as moving in a new place or bullying)
- Poor performance at school
Pediatric therapy has many benefits for children. Below are some of them.
- Improvement of fine and gross motor skills
- Becoming independent
- Increase in physical strength
- Improvement of visual skills
- Enhancement of social skills
- Fixing sensory processing issues
- Improvement of non-verbal communication
- Lessens anxiety
- Confidence building
- Improvement of self-regulation
- Learning to manage time
- Better performance at school
- Learning how to organize things
- Learning about teamwork
- Overcoming challenges with disability
At Sioux Center Health, we offer pediatric therapy services for you and your family to incorporate into daily routines.
Our therapist works closely with you and your child to better understand the child’s needs and maximize their potential
through individualized program development. Through a play-based approach, our therapist helps your child experience
the world with greater confidence to improve mobility, strength and coordination, cognition, communication, social-emotional development, and/or sensory processing.
Depending on your child’s condition, there are different types of pediatric therapy to consider. Consult a pediatric therapist on which type/s of treatment you need for your child.
- Developmental milestones: rolling, crawling, and walking
- Balance and coordination skills
- Stretching and strengthening exercises