Tips for Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding your baby on demand, at least 8-12 times/24 hours for newborns.
- Rest, eat well, drink fluids to satisfy your thirst.
- Avoid bottles and pacifiers during the first 2-3 weeks to help get breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Minimize visitors. Spend your day resting, cuddling, and feeding your baby.
Call your care provider or lactation nurse if:
- Baby is nursing more than 14 times per 24 hours.
- Swallowing not heard and/or breasts do not soften after feeds. Baby’s urine is dark after day 3.
- Baby’s poopy diapers are still black or brown after day 5.